Uninstall/Remove AOL Toolbar Completely – Detailed Instruction
AOL Toolbar is free toolbar developed by AOL, it can be installed in popular web browsers like Internet Explorer and Firefox to allow you get quick access to your favorite content, services and AOL. Toolbar can be convenient if the service and functions it provided is useful to you, however, it can also slow down your web browser, especially when you installed too many toolbars in your browser. If you no longer needs it, uninstall AOL Toolbar from your computer could help you speed up web browsing speed a bit, you may follow the below instruction to do the removal.
Uninstall AOL Toolbar Completely – Manual Solution
Before the removal, remember to close your web browser if it is on.
Step 1: Uninstall AOL Toolbar from Add/Remove program
- Click Start button at the bottom left of the screen.
- Click Control Panel, in the opened window, select and click Add/Remove program.
- find AOL Toolbar in the Add/Remove program list and select it.
- Click Remove button as you can see in the right hand.
- In the appeared uninstall wizard, click Next button to start the un-installation.
- When the un-installation is done, click Finish to end the wizard.
Step 2: Remove program leftovers.
Completing Step 1 is just part of the removal, it is not done yet, you need to manually delete the AOL Toolbar leftovers which can not be removed through Add/Remove program. If you leave these leftovers files/folders/registry entries inside your computer, not only they can occupy your drive space bu also affect the system performance in the long run. So, if you decide to remove a program, make sure to do it completely.
- Open My Computer
- Navigate to the drive where you install AOL Toolbar. If you installed it by default, please go to C:\Program Files.
- Right click on the folder named AOL and select Delete.
Note: You can also use the Windows Search Function to the search the name of AOL, this is also a good way to locate the installation folder of AOL quickly.
- Go to the Start menu again, click Run.
- Type in ‘regedit’ in the Run box and press Enter key.
- Click the ‘+’ sign to extend the registry key branch and navigate to the location of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
- Right click on the AOL folder inside and select Delete.
- Navigate to the location of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
- Right click on the America Online folder inside and select Delete
- Turn off Registry Editor and reboot your computer.
Note: If you never tried registry modification, this operation may be a little bit complicated. We suggest you to use third party Uninstall tool to help you uninstall AOL Toolbar automatically and completely. If you insist to do it manually, do remember to back up the registry from the ‘File’ menu to avoid problems caused by mistaken operation.
Uninstall AOL Toolbar Automatically
The most convenient way to remove AOL Toolbar is using Max Uninstaller which is a professional software uninstall tool, it would make sure every piece of the target program is removed from your system, it is completely safe and automatic, all you need is click a few times of your mouse, see the steps below:
- Click the button above to Download Max Uninstaller, double click the icon to install Max Uninstaller in your computer.
- Open Max Uninstaller, select AOL Toolbar in the panel and click ‘Run Analysis’.
- Max Uninstaller will then scan out every component of the program. Click ‘Complete Uninstall’ to start uninstalling AOL Toolbar.
- Click ‘Scan Leftovers’ button, and Max Uninstaller will conduct a full scan on your computer for program leftover.
- After the scan finish, click ‘Delete Leftovers’ and ‘Yes’ button to thoroughly remove all the leftovers.
- Click ‘OK’ to finish the whole removal process.
If you want to see more details in a visual version, please refer to this video demonstration: