How to Completely Uninstall BitDefender Total Security 2015
BitDefender Total Security 2015, developed by Romania-based software developer Softwin, claims itself as an easy-to-use anti-malware program providing best protection for users’ computers. And its reviewed score on the Softpedia website is 3.9/5. Despite the benefits it brings to your computer, chances are that you might wanna uninstall it for various reasons. Yet, BitDefender seems to prevent users from uninstalling it and from installing other security software. You may fail to remove it from your machine, or some of it invalid leftovers remains in the disk even it has been uninstalled. What is the proper way to accomplish this task? Here we provide two removal methods to help you uninstall BitDefender Total Security 2015.
Manual Way to Uninstall BitDefender Total Security:
1. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode.
- On Windows 7:Reboot the computer, tap the F8 key as soon as you see the Windows’ logo appearing, select the regular Safe Mood and press Enter key.
- On Windows 8:Access the Run dialogue by pressing the Windows + R keys, type “msconfig” and click on OK.
- Click the Boot tab in the System Configuration interface, check the “Safe boot” box and click on OK. Then your computer will boot into Safe Mode after it restarts. (Notice: after the uninstall is finished, you should first uncheck the “Safe boot” box in this tab and then reboot your PC).
2. Terminate all BitDefender processes in Task Manager.
Right click the taskbar on the bottom and click Task Manager in the list (or you can click Ctrl + Alt + Del to activate it). Select all the related background processes and click End Task to terminate them.
3. Uninstall BitDefender Total Security via Control Panel.
- On Windows 7:Hit the Windows key on your keyboard and select the Control Panel in the list.
- Click on Programs in Control Panel interface, highlight the BitDefender Total Security in the list and click on Uninstall/Change to activate the default uninstaller.
- On Windows 8:Right click on the Start icon and click on Control Panel ( or move your mouse cursor to the lower-right corner to open it from Settings). Click on Programs and Features in Control Panel, right click the BitDefender Total Security, click on Uninstall/Change and then follow the prompts to remove it.
- Click Remove in this pop-up window.
- Check this box “I want to permanently remove it” and then click Next in this pop-up window to proceed.
- Uncheck this box “Install BitDefender 60-Second Virus Scanner” and then click Next in this pop-up window.
- After the uninstall process is completed, restart your computer.
4. Manually clean out BitDefender Total Security leftovers.
You should be noticed that, uninstalling a program via Windows Add/Remove Programs only removes the main executable files of this program, yet some of its invalid files may remain in system registry or folders. BitDefender’s user manual also admits that it may not be completely removed by running the default uninstaller. Therefore you still need to manually delete those remnants to avoid an overweight, bloated Windows registry and any incompatible issues of other programs installation.
- (Right) click on the Start icon, click on Search, type “regedit” in the box and press Enter key to activate Windows Registry Editor.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ Wow6432Node \
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall \
to identify and delete the files and folder associated with BitDefender.
Warning: Unless you are quite proficient in computer system operation, you are not suggested to make any change on the registry keys or values. Besides, some of the BitDefender registry entries are ambiguous to identify or tricky to locate. To avoid any mis-operation in deleting registry entries, we strongly recommend you to apply Max Uninstall for safe and clean removal of BitDefender components.
- Go to My Computer > C:\Program Files \ > BitDefenderto delete this folder if it still exists.
Otherwise, BitDefender provides a specifi uninstall tool for users to download and uninstall any of its products. You can also launch this application to remove the traces of BitDefender after uninstall Total Security from Control Panel, and then search your computer to make sure there is no remnants left.
After you have performed these 4 steps, Bitdefender Total Security 2015 should be successfully removed from your computer. For the previous version of BitDefender, see How to Uninstall Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 and Bitdefender Removal instruction, How Can I Remove Bitdefender Completely.
Recommended Solution to BitDefender Total Security Removal:
Being warmed that “this program might not have uninstalled correctly” when manually uninstalling BitDefender Total Security? Actually, many users do complain why it is so hard and complex to remove. Once you try to follow the manual steps to uninstall this program, you may encounter various issues, such as: the BitDefender Total Security icon is not listed under the Programs panel; there is no response when clicking its build-in uninstall link; the program cannot be uninstalled because it is corrupted or damaged; in most cases, the invalid registry entries and files still remains in your computer, which will definitely stuff your system and degrade your computer performance. If you are looking for an effective and time-saving way to thoroughly uninstall BitDefender products, please continue reading. Max Uninstaller is a professional third-party uninstall utility that helps you get rid of any unwanted program without causing any trouble. Let’s see how it works to fully remove BitDefender Total Security 2015 within a few clicks!
1. Select target program.
Double click to launch Max Uninstaller > select BitDefender Total Security in the list of installed programs > click the Run Analysis button to proceed.
2. Scan for program components.
Review related BitDefender Total Security files, folders and registry entries, and then click the Complete Uninstall button to continue. During the process, click Yes in the dialog boxes and follow the prompts to complete BitDefender Total Security uninstall. After that, click Scan Leftovers to enter the next step.
3. Perform complete uninstall.
Review the program leftovers and click Delete Leftovers button. Click Yes in the dialogue box, and then all BitDefender Total Security leftovers are instantly removed from your computer.
Fully removing BitDefender Total Security is a complex and tricky task for many computer users. But with Max Uninstaller you can easily and quickly accomplish this task. It comes in handy to all those who want to get rid of any unwanted programs without causing any troubles. Don’t hesitate to have a try on it now!
For More Security Program Removal Guides: