How to Thoroughly Uninstall µTorrent from Your Computer
Owned and developed by BitTorrent, Inc., µTorrent is a well-known torrent client that enables users to quickly download files from various peers and offers support for RSS feeds, a scheduler and speed limiter. It is designed to use minimal computer resources while offering functionality comparable to larger BitTorrent clients. This program has received good reviews for its feature set, performance and stability. And so far it got a score of 4.5/5 in the Softpedia website. Nevertheless, µTorrent is ad-supported, which means ad banners or other types of advertising material will be displayed during its runtime. Besides, some third-party software or toolbar will be installed by default during the installation of µTorrent. May be that’s why some users complain that µTorrent is full of annoying ads and nasty malware. And there are other users who are more inclined to get back to the older version of this program after installing the latest version. No matter for what reason you wanna uninstall µTorrent, you may be stuck in unexpected issues, or even have no clue how to properly uninstall it from your computer. Be relaxed. This article will detail two practical solutions to µTorrent removal for your reference. Please follow the steps below if necessary.
Manually Uninstall µTorrent Via Windows Add/Remove Programs:
1. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode
Before uninstalling µTorrent, you should restart your computer to boot into Safe Mode and use the Administrator account to run the system.
On Windows 7:
- Reboot the computer, tap the F8 key as soon as you see the Windows’ logo appearing, select the regular Safe Mood and press Enter key.
On Windows 8:
- Access the Run dialogue by pressing the Windows + R keys, type “msconfig” and click on OK. Click the Boot tab in the System Configuration interface, check the “Safe boot” box and click on OK. Then your computer will boot into Safe Mode after it restarts. (Notice: after the uninstall process is finished, you should first uncheck the “Safe boot” box in this tab and then reboot your PC).
2.Shut down µTorrent in Task Manager
- Right click the taskbar on the bottom and click Task Manager in the list > select µTorrent background process > click End Task to terminate it.
3.Remove µTorrent via Control Panel
On Windows 7:
- Hit the Windows key on your keyboard and select the Control Panel in the list. Click on Programs in Control Panel interface, highlight the µTorrent in the list and click on Uninstall/Change to activate its uninstaller.
On Windows 8:
- Move your mouse cursor to the lower-right corner to open Control Panel from Settings > click on Programs and Features > right click the µTorrent, click on Uninstall/Change and then follow the prompts to remove it.
- During this process, check the box “Remove my settings” and then click Uninstall to continue.
- Reboot your computer after the uninstall process is finished.
4. Remove µTorrent leftovers in Windows Registry
- (Right) click on the Start icon > click on Search > type “regedit” in the box and press Enter key to activate Windows Registry Editor.
- Click Find on the Edit menu in the Registry Editor, type the keyword(s) of target program or its vendor’s name in the search box, and enter Find Next (or F3) to locate and delete related keys or values one after the other.
Warning: as the Windows registry is a database that stores crucial system information, any incorrect modification in the registry may cause system troubles or crashes. Before editing registry, you are supposed to make a backup copy of the registry entries. To reduce any unexpected risks in this process, you are recommended to utilize a reliable uninstaller to save your time and ensure a safe removal.
- Navigate to:
to identify and delete files or folders related to µTorrent.
After these steps are done, you should have successful removed µTorrent from your PC. For more downloader removal guides, see:
Automatically Uninstall µTorrent with Max Uninstaller
Many users complain that µTorrent cannot be uninstalled by conventional means, and they wonder if there is any better way to solve possible removal problems. For the stubborn or corrupted programs, manual uninstall method tend to be less effective. If you are looking for a perfect solution to complete µTorrent uninstall, Max Uninstaller is really a good helper. With this professional tool you can get rid of it thoroughly and quickly. Now let’s see how it works to uninstall µTorrent within one minute.
1. Select target program.
Terminate all the background processes connected with µTorrent> launch Max Uninstaller > select µTorrent in the list of installed programs > click the Run Analysis button to proceed.
2. Scan for program components.
Review µTorrent files and registry entries and keep every box ticked > click the Complete Uninstall button to perform µTorrent built-in uninstall (during this process, check the box “Remove my settings” and then click Uninstall to continue) > click Scan Leftovers button to enter the last step.
3. Perform complete uninstall.
Review the µTorrent leftovers and click Delete Leftovers button > click Yes in the dialogue box > click OK in the pop-up window, and then all µTorrent leftovers are completely removed from your computer.
Thoroughly uninstalling µTorrent used to be a headache for many users, for the regular method often fail to work effectively for various reasons. In that case, a professional uninstall tool turns out to be helpful. Max Uninstaller has a friendly and simply interface and even the first-time users can easily operate any unwanted program uninstallation. If you confront any difficulty in uninstalling any unwanted program, don’t hesitate to apply this automatic tool and resolve your troubles!