How to Uninstall Microsoft SilverLight – Step by Step Guide
SilverLight is a cross-platform browser plug-in for enhancing online content and media on both desktop and laptop computers. SilverLight can be installed through Windows update or downloaded individually from Microsoft website, if this plug-in is useless for you, you can follow the below provided instruction to completely uninstall SilverLight from your system.
Uninstall SilverLight with build-in uninstall option
Usually SilverLight can be uninstalled through the Control Panel, here is the steps:
- Click Start button, click Control Panel
- Select Add/Remove program in the Control Panel window
- In the program list, locate and highlight SilverLight, click the “Remove” option.
- You will see a message pop-up asking you “are you sure you want to remove Microsoft SilverLight from your computer?” Click Yes button to confirm the action.
- The uninstall will be start, the process will only take you a few seconds.
- Reboot your computer
Uninstall SilverLight manually
Due to incomplete installation or software corruption, some times the “Remove” option can not be found in the add/remove program thus you can not uninstall SilverLight from there. For situations like that, you can try removing all the components of SilverLight manually from your computer, here is the steps:
- Open My Computer from Windows Start menu.
- Navigate to the installation folder of SilverLight, usually the location should be C:\Program Files SilverLight
- Right click on the folder and select Delete in the appeared menu.
- Go to Start > Search > Files and folder > All files and folder
- In the first blank, type in SilverLight and the hit Search button.
- Back to Windows desktop, right click on Windows Recycle Bin.
- Select Empty Recycle Bin.
- Go to Start > Run
- Type in Regedit in the run window and press “Enter” key.
- After you open the registry editor, use the registry branch tree on the left side to locate the below entries, and then delete them one by one.
- Close the registry editor and restart your computer.
Note: If you are not familiar with the registry edition, please backup the registry by using the File > Export menu, this could help you to avoid problems that caused by mistaken operations.
Uninstall SilverLight automatically (recommended)
The best solution to uninstall SilverLight is using Max Uninstaller, this professional program will help you to remove SilverLight or any other applications completely from your computer with in clicks, you may refer to the below video demonstration and follow the steps to try it out.
Step 1: Download Max Uninstaller here, install it in your computer.
Step 2:Open Max Uninstaller, click not listed above link at the bottom of the panel
Step 3: click the button as you can see in the below image.
Step 4: navigate to the installation folder of SilverLight, highlight the folder and click OK button.
Step 5: Click “Scan”button, and Max Uninstaller will conduct a full scan on your computer for all the components of SilverLight.
Step 6: Click “Delete Leftovers” and “Yes” button to thoroughly remove SilverLight after the scan finished
Step 7: Just a few seconds SilverLight and all of its components will be removed by Max Uninstaller completely.
How to uninstall SilverLight completely with Max Uninstaller
This is a video demonstration of how Max Uninstaller Work to remove the application you want, you can watch the video and alongside Referring to the above steps to uninstall SilverLight from your computer completely.
Solutions to fix Silverlight upgrade errors on Netflix
Silverlight users may encounter errors while streaming videos from the source of Netflix, this error is commonly caused by the upgrade of the Silverlight. Some people may choose to call Netflix for support, however it has been proven that Netflix is unable to fix the problem on the spot for you and most of the time they will refer you to Microsoft. Well, take it easy, you can totally fix the problem by yourselves with the below few steps:
- Click the Start menu of Windows, go to Control Panel.
- Click Add/Remove program, if you are using Windows 7/Vista, click the link of Uninstall a program. In the Add/Remove program list, you will find the upgrade option of Microsoft Silverlight.
- Click the remove button to remove Silverlight upgrade from the last 30 days.
- Use Netflix to play any video file in your computer, then you’ll be ask to install Silverlight, follow the instruction to install Silverlight again.
- After you finish the installation of Silverlight, you should be able to play the video file of Netflix without errors.