Effective Ways to Uninstall Smart Defrag Completely – Smart Defrag Removal Guide
Published and develop by IObit Pty, Ltd., Smart Defrag claims itself as a free, light and stable disk defragment tool to accelerate hard drive for faster data access and outstanding disk performance. It seems that Smart Defrag delivers comparatively good results when it comes to disk defragmentation, and users can improve their PC performance with defragged and optimized hard drive.
Even so, we also noticed that some users expressed their dissatisfaction about this program, such as Smart Defrag took too long to defrag for the first time, user’s internet settings have been changed, and especially the annoying messages that push users to download unwanted program keep popping up.
Anyway, if it does not work as expected, you can follow the manual steps listed below to uninstall Smart Defrag and remove its leftovers. If you don’t have time to read the whole article, just click <Look for a Time-Saving Way to Uninstall Smart Defrag? It’s right here!> to learn how to uninstall Smart Defrag as quickly as possible.
Part 1: How to Uninstall Smart Defrag from Your PC?
1. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode (optional)
Before removing any program, you can restart Windows in Safe Mode to avoid possible problems that cause unsuccessful or incomplete uninstall. If you decide to skip this part, then begin Smart Defrag uninstall with step 2 below.
On Windows 7:
- Reboot the computer, tap the F8 key as soon as you see the Windows’ logo appearing.
- Select the Safe Mood in Advanced Boot Options and then press Enter key.
On Windows 8:
- Access the Run dialogue by pressing the Windows + R keys, type “msconfig” and click on OK.
- Click the Boot tab in the System Configuration interface, check the “Safe boot” box and click on OK. Then your computer will boot into Safe Mode after it restarts.
- Notice: after the uninstall process is finished, you should first uncheck the “Safe boot” box in this tab and then reboot your PC.
2. Shut down related background processes in Task Manager
- Right click the taskbar on the bottom of the screen and click Task Manager in the list.
- Select the process(es) associated with Smart Defrag in the Processes tab, and then click on End Task to terminated them one by one.
3. Uninstall Smart Defrag via Control Panel/built-in uninstaller
- Right click on Start menu and then click on Programs and Features in the list ( for Windows 7: Start – Control Panel – Programs).
- Highlight Smart Defrag with one single click and click on Uninstall to activate default uninstaller.
- Alternatively, you can go to the installation folder of Smart Defrag (usually saved in C:/Program Files/IObit/) and double click on the file named unins000.exe to activate its built-in uninstaller.
- Then follow the prompts to complete the uninstall.
- Reboot your computer after the uninstall process is completed.
Part 2: How to Remove Smart Defrag Leftover Totally?
After that, you still need to manually detect and remove its remaining files and registry entries to avoid unnecessary waste of disk space. Try to search the directory for this program and delete all the files first.
- Click on Start – Control Panel – Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
- Tick Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (recommended) in the Advanced settings.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Navigate to C:/Program Files/IObit/Smart Defrag and delete this folder if it still exists.
- Additionally, you can type Smart Defrag in the search area, then go through the matched items in the search results and delete all traces of this program.
(2) Registry Keys/Values
- (Right) click on Start menu and then click on Run in the list. Type “regedit” in the Open: box and hit Enter key to activate Registry Editor. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Click Find on the Edit menu in the Registry Editor.
- Type the keyword(s) of target program or its vendor’s name in the search box, then click on Find Next (and then hit F3 key) to locate and delete related keys or values one after the other.
Warning: as the Windows Registry is a database that stores crucial system configuration and settings, any improper modification might give arise to problems negatively impacting on your system. We only recommend experienced users to manually edit registry after backing up the registry files. For those beginners, a registry cleaner or uninstall tool will be a better option to remove program leftovers.
External Knowledge: Window Registry- What is the Windows Registry & What’s it Used For?
This uninstall method works for most of the programs running on Windows OS (e.g. PhotoScape, PC Manager, Classic Shell), though it may seem to be a little time-consuming and requires a certain degree of computer knowledge. Wanna remove Smart Defrag in a much more convenient way and have no trace left behind? Well, why not use a professional uninstaller to get the job done?
Look for a Time-Saving Way to Uninstall Smart Defrag? It’s right here!
Max Uninstaller is an industry-leading uninstaller with a highly engineered engine and an intuitive interface. It can help you get rid of any unwanted, stubborn or corrupted program that Windows Add/Remove Programs applet fails to remove. All the program components scattering around the whole system will be deleted instantly – all in three simple steps. Now let’s see see how it works to fully uninstall Smart Defrag.
1. Select target program.
- Launch Max Uninstaller after exiting related processes > select Smart Defrag in the list of installed programs > click on Run Analysis to proceed.
- Click the Complete Uninstall button to activate default uninstaller > follow the prompts to complete uninstall > click on Scan Leftovers to enter the last step.
3. Perform complete uninstall.
- Click on Delete Leftovers > click Yes in the dialogue box and then all Smart Defrag leftovers are completely removed from your computer.
This tutorial exhibits two methods to uninstall Smart Defrag completely. Comparing with the conventional means of uninstall target program, applying an automatic uninstall tool will save you a lot of work, and you don’t need to worry about any system problem caused by improper operation.
If you still have any difficulty in any program removal, feel free to leave your comment here : )