How to Efficiently Remove Picasa 3.9 – Windows Tutorials
Users have been asking how to remove Picasa 3.9 in Windows. If you’re having the same concern, browse this page for guides.
Picasa and its companion Picasa Web Albums service has started to be discontinued last year and seen the final stage of the rollout happen as part of Google’s effort to focus on Google Photos.
Google said it plans take some time in order to “do this right and provide you with options and easy ways to access your content”. Check out Google’s blog post for more details.
The following tutorials will guide you through the correct removal process.
How to Remove Picasa 3.9 Yourself
1. Administrative account.
In most cases we log in the operating system as an Administrator, which allows the user to make changes without being asked for password permission. If you don’t know whether you’re logging in as an Administrator, just continue and you will find out.
2. Shut down Picasa 3.9 (Optional).
Some programs will automatically close or ask you to shut them down during the removal, while some will not. To better remove Picasa 3.9, shut down the program and the related possesses that are running in the background before actual removal. There are two places to check:
System Tray: Right-click the icon and select Quit.
Task Manager: press & hold Ctrl + Alt + Del to open, then close/end everything related to Picasa 3.9.
3. Remove Picasa 3.9 through the Control Panel.
In the bottom-left corner of your screen, right-click the Windows logo and select Control Panel. > Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
Then you see the list which tells you what programs are installed on your PC, the names of them, when they’re installed, and how much disk space they’re taking. Locate & double-click Picasa 3.9 to activate its built-in uninstaller.
4. Follow the prompts to proceed with the removal.
It will ask whether you wish to keep your user data, Check the option if you have no intention to reinstall the program, otherwise keep it unchecked.
5. Back up the Registry (Optional).
This is a precaution — if you accidentally delete anything that isn’t supposed to be deleted, you’ll have a full back-up copy to restore the data.
Hover your mouse in the bottom-right corner to see the charms bar, select Search, then enter “regedit” to open Registry Editor. > On the navigator click File > Export, type a name for the back-up copy and save it to your selected location.
6. Remove Picasa 3.9 from Registry Editor.
During installation the program puts its entries/keys in the Registry, so that it can be connected to the whole system. That’s why sometimes you can’t run a program by simply coping the folder from somewhere else. And this step is to delete the entries of Picasa 3.9.
Hover your mouse in the bottom-right corner to see the charms bar, select Search, then enter “regedit” to open Registry Editor. > On the navigator click Edit > Find… , enter “Picasa” to find the entry (entries) to Delete.
7. Restart your PC to completely remove Picasa 3.9 (Advised).
When you install/remove Picasa 3.9, it will register or unregister the usage of one or more .dll files. And when you choose to reboot your computer after uninstalling a program, Windows will close the program & delete any file that is no longer assigned to a program to clean up the computer. Not every program’s removal requires a reboot, but I think it would be better to follow the general idea.
Easy Breezy Way to Remove Picasa 3.9
If you think the regular steps is too complicated to fully understand, forget them. This will spare you going through the whole tedious removal, unwanted risks and consequences. Let’s see how it works:
1. Click the green download button (or go to the homepage for download) to install Max Uninstaller.
2. Run it and you will see the list of all the programs currently installed on your machine > Select Picasa 3 and click on the green Run Analysis button.
3. Check all items displayed in the new list, click the green Complete Uninstall button, follow the uninstall wizard to continue, and don’t forget to select “Restart later” with you’re prompted with the options.
4. After a few seconds, it will give you the option to Scan Leftovers (cleaning out the keys from Windows Registry), click it.
5. At last, hit the green Delete Leftovers button to completely remove Picasa 3.9.
To make sure the program has been gone from your PC, you can click on “Back to Step 1” to refresh the list on Max Uninstaller. If you have succeeded to remove Picasa 3.9, you won’t see it in the list.