Efficient Ways to Uninstall Opera Correctly on Windows PC
Some users have had problems with the Opera failing to delete, even when manual removal is attempted. If you’re one of them, read this page for correctly steps to completely uninstall Opera.
By using the default Windows Control Panel section “Programs and Features” you may successfully uninstall Opera Browser. But for complete removal, you need to check if some data remained in the folders that can be found on the C drive.
Step-by-Step Guide – Manually Uninstall Opera
This part is about how to normally uninstall a program on your own. You can choose to perform this in Safe Mode, better with Networking in case you need to use the Internet for update or download. Then make sure you’re using the administrator account or you know the permission password for making changes.
1. Close the program and any other related process.
You can access Task Manager (by right-clicking the Taskbar and selecting Task Manager) to end the processes it if necessary.
2. Uninstall option.
Click the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner to open the Start menu, see if there is an uninstall option under Opera, click it to start the first part of removal. If no, move to the next step.
3. Uninstall Opera from Programs and Features:
Right-click the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner to open the Start menu > select Programs and features > when the window opens, scroll down to find Opera in the list, double-click it to activate the uninstall wizard > follow the prompts to proceed with the removal.
Wait for the process to finish before closing all the open windows.
4. Delete the hidden folders of Opera.
Enable the option “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” in File Explorer: Click on Start > File Explorer > Click on the View tab at the top > Click on “Options” on the right side of the screen and open it > Inside the open window, click on View tab > enable the option “Show hidden files, folders and drives” > Click on Apply > OK.
Delete the following folders:
- C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software
- C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Opera Software
5. Now you get to remove its written entries, before which you can choose to backup the Registry first in case of any mistake.
(How to back up the registry: Open the Start menu and search for “regedit” > Locate and select the key you want to back up > On the navigator, click the File > Export > In the Save in box, select the location you want to save the copy to, then type a name for the copy > click “Save”.)
Press the Windows + C keys on your keyboard at the same time to open the charms bar > Select Search > type “regedit” in the search box > Select regedit to open Registry Editor.
Navigate to the following folder and delete it:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Opera Software
6. Reboot your computer to take effect.
Skip this if you have done it yet. Now you can go back to Task Manager or Control Panel to check whether there is still anything related to Opera; if not, then the removal was successful.
If this didn’t work on your system, continue your tour below and you shall have a much easier solution.
An Easier Option to Uninstall Opera in Windows
I’m hereby recommending Max Uninstaller, a trustworthy removal tool for you to try. This applies all the common-used Windows operating systems:
1. Click the green download button on the page to download & install Max Uninstaller, then run it.
2. Find & select Opera in the Programs list, and click Run Analysis, a list of all the related files will be displayed > hit Complete Uninstall and follow the prompts to proceed.
3. Click Scan Leftovers when the button turns to green. This is to scan for the program’s vestiges, which will also be displayed in a list. You can review the list for details, then hit Delete Leftovers to uninstall Opera.
To check whether you’ve done the removal well, click “Back to Step1.” You will be brought back to the programs list, where you can see all the currently installed programs on the system. Opera should be gone by now, and you can try to uninstall other unwanted/needless programs by performing the same 3 steps above. 😀
For any advises you would like to share towards how to better uninstall Opera, let us know by leaving comments below.